The first of our incredible coaches that will be joining us out in Gran Canaria in the new year, is Shaun Sturgess! Shaun Sturgess is a Beach Volleyball Coach and Camp Organiser from the Netherlands!
Have a look at our interview with Shaun to get to know him before meeting him out in Gran Canaria (if you haven't met him on our Portugal Camps)!
1. TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOUR BEACH VOLLEYBALL CAREER
I started playing volleyball when I was 6 and started playing beach when I was 14. Over the last decade I have participated in multiple Dutch Premier leagues and aspiring to play at least one more before retiring ;)
2. WHAT'S YOUR HISTORY WITH DEEP DISH VACATIONS?
I have coached multiple camps before and as co-owner of Barefoot Beach Camps have had the joy to work together with Deep Dish at the Praia da Rocha, Portugal Camps.
3. DO YOU HAVE ANY PRE-CAMP WORDS OF WISDOM FOR PLAYERS COMING OUT TO GRAN CANARIA?
Your body is the greatest tool you get in life and beach volleyball is one of the best ways of keeping this tool in good shape, let’s play ball!
5. WHAT IS A LIFE-CHANGING BOOK/MOVIE/QUOTE THAT YOU HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO OTHER PEOPLE?
The book Master your Mindset by Michael Pilarczyk has been a great read for me, really focusing on what is important in life and how to design your life in line with what is important.
6. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE DRILL OR SKILL TO COACH?
I love teaching people how to set, enabling them to dish out that butter.
7. WHAT ARE YOU MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO AT THE GRAN CANARIA CAMP?
Spending days in one of the best beach volleyball bubbles there is!
8. WHY SHOULD PLAYERS OR COACHES JOIN THE DEEP DISH GRAN CANARIA CAMP NEXT YEAR?
Because nothing breaks the slump of winter survival mode like a great beach camp!
9. DO YOU HAVE AN EMBARRASSING MOMENT FROM CAMP OR THAT HAPPENED WHILE PLAYING BEACH VOLLEYBALL?
Stubbing my toe on the boardwalk during the first week of the 2023 Portugal Camp, injuring myself for the better part of that week.